Monday, August 17, 2009

First Digit

One knuckle
first digit pointer
to be exact

swollen craggy
like driftwood
I banged it I think

or maybe it's
arthritis
striking early

whatever it is
I type this now
with my middle finger

finally center stage
at last while poor pointer
watches from above

How hard it is
not to use you
especially in school

where I need to
coat you in oil
rely upon your agility

Shoulder moans in sympathy
listen while the haughty
forearm muscles balk

look at that crumpled digit
so swollen unable to heal
sending cryptic smoke signals

to that befuddled brain
ouch my finger what shall I do?
tape it, xray it, kiss it

do something you fool!
there is no finger prince
or pointer fairy

This reminds us of
the time when you fractured
your arm and failed to call 911

Well, maybe not as bone
curdlingly painful, but still
a cry for action

Ok I'll call the Doctor
better to know
sacrifice time to save a finger...
A.S.
8/17/09
12:24pm EST

No comments:

Post a Comment