Saturday, June 13, 2009

No Such Necklace

His eyes
on her hands
as they
open the
case which holds
the necklace
with two
interconnected
hearts

I ask
May I help
you with that?
Even-though
I know she
is capable

He offers
she is just
looking
and preens
her like a
bird pulling
a seed from
the center of
a flower
from her
hair

I persist
You can try it
on if you'd like

she smiles
back at me
and takes
the necklace
from the pins
which hold it

He fastens it
around her
delicate neck

She is petite
while he stands
like a redwood
towering over
her

Each movement
of his limbs
a serenade

It suits you
I say

Get it
he cajoles

No, she says
smiling at
me

I know why

She already
has it

Two connecting
hearts

The bell on
the door
blesses them
as they walk into
the light

I have no
such necklace.
A.S.
6/13/09

No comments:

Post a Comment