Sunday, June 14, 2009

One Choice

Two young boys
play around

peering into
my windows

treating my cottage
like a doll house

My wheels
grind gravel

they turn
and freeze

tow haired deer
caught in headlights

I ask nonchalantly
did you find your helmet?

I saw it behind
my chair

beside the pink flowers

This morning I knew
I had spies in my midst

Yes, Amy...

they call me by name

I wonder should I have
introduced myself

as Miss Summers
Ms. Summers perhaps
would invoke more fear

Did you put
this rock in my path?

No, Yes the braver
of the two answers

waiting, hoping for
some gossip

to bring home
to his Grandmother

he hopes to invoke
some sign of impatience

Will you help me
move it? I ask calmly

I can't lift it
I have a bad arm

I flash them
my scar

hoping to elicit some
pity or mercy

Can we come in
and see your place?

The No boy asks
as Yes boy rolls the rock

We already seen it
the Yes boy admonishes

Their drunk Uncle
lived here before

he was evicted

his stale cigarette smoke
lingers behind the

fresh paint.

I'm tired, I tell them
Maybe another time

The house is too messy
I add for good measure

not really caring if
it is believable.

Thanks buds
I say

remembering that
one of them is called

Trever, or Travis.

I need to go in now
and feed Leroy.

Whose Leroy?
The No boy asks

It's her indoor cat
Yes boy offers.

I unlock the door
and they follow me

onto the porch

I close the door
behind me

They stand in the driveway
exhilarated

Not old enough
to disguise their
spying well

I pat Leroy's belly
Next time maybe
I'll let them come in

I pause, but they'll
have to remove their
muddy shoes.

Suddenly I see
myself alone
at ninety

offering the neighbor boys
cookies in exchange for

their youthful smiles
and endless questions

What price happiness?

One choice can effect
so much.
A.S.
6/13/09

No comments:

Post a Comment